Ratatouille is probably one of my favorite dishes to "stir up" when wanting to make the most of the produce in my fridge. Not to mention it's good to eat year round.
Yields: 4 to 6
Time: 1 hr 15 min
1 large eggplant cut cubes, and circular
1 zucchini cut cubes, and circular
1 summer squash cut cubes, and circular
1 medium spanish onion finely chopped
1 red, orange or yellow bell pepper sliced
5 garlic cloves chopped
6 vine ripe tomatoes
1 table spoon tomato paste
2 tablespoons fresh thyme
3 tablespoons fresh basil
1 tablespoon sugar
6 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup wine
*The secret to my ratatouille is that I like to create a tomato concasse as the base.
1. Heat non stick skillet pan over medium heat and add olive oil.
2. Add chopped garlic simmer and add the onion till golden color
3. Add tomatoes (skinless preferred) , tomato paste, thyme and sugar cook down for about 10 min.
4. Deglaze with wine red or white is fine.
5. In separate pan heat with oil on medium heat cook zucchini cubes and squash about 3 min till crisp/tender. Set aside.
6. Repeat step 5 for eggplant cubes.
7. Toss all the cut vegetables into tomato concasse mixture
8. Finish with circular cuts for presentation (optional) and cook for another 5 mins.
9. Garnish with Basil, and a sprinkle of olive oil
Bon Appétit Mes Amis!!