Easy French Créme Brûlée Recipe
Updated: Sep 22, 2020
"Créme Brûlée" meaning burnt cream in French, is one of my favorite classic French recipes, that only consist of 5 basic ingredient's. The best way to serve this delicious dessert is after the caramelization of the sugar on it's surface.
Prep Time: 20 min | Cook Time: 30 min | Total Time: 50 Min
2 Cups Heavy Cream
1 Vanilla Bean ( I use Madagascar)
5 large Egg Yolks at Room Temp
1/4 Cup Bourbon or Grand Marnier (optional)
3/4 Cup Sugar Separated
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
Garnish: Strawberries, & Mint
1. Pour 2 cups cream into a pot, and heat to medium on a simmer. (Do not boil).
2. Split Vanilla Bean in two, and scrape out extract. Add to pot of simmering cream while whisking and set aside to cool slightly once it reaches simmer.
3. Pre Heat oven to 325 Degrees.
4. Combine room temp yolks and half the sugar in a bowl, whisk till light in color and thickened texture for about three minutes till ribbon like.
5. Slowly add the warm cream into the eggs while whisking vigorously to not curdle the eggs.
6. Strain egg and cream mixture.
7. Place into Ramekins, leaving about a centimeter to rim to allow space to rise. Cover with foil and place into Baking pan.
8. Add boiling water half way to Ramekins, creating a "bain marie" translating to water bath and bake for 30 min or until center is barely set (slight jiggle in texture).
9. When ready to serve add the remaining 1/4 sugar to the top of each custard and flambé with Torch until the sugar starts to melt/caramelize. Option if no access to torch, then broil in oven 1 to 3 min. Stop once it reaches a dark golden color. Once firm top with garnish of strawberries & mint.