Thai Beef Noodle Soup
Prep: 30 Min | Time: 2 hours | Yields: 4
1 1/2 pound beef such as shank, flank, round or chuck cut into slices about 1 inch thick
5 cups unsalted beef stock
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp black soy sauce
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1/4 cup fish sauce (option to add more if you like )
3 tbsp sugar ( I use brown or coconut sugar)
2 star anise (no more as the taste is strong)
2 cinnamon sticks
2 bay leaves
10 slices ginger
1/4 cup smashed peeled galangal
8 garlic cloves
2 lemon grass stalks smashed
10 grams crushed coriander
1 onion chopped
2 tbsp vegetable or coconut oil
Chili Vinegar (optional)
3 cups greens of your choice ( bok choy, kale, spinach, etc...)
1. Season meat with a pinch of salt, add oil to pan and place on high heat. Flash the beef on all sides to get brownings. Remove from pan set aside.
2. Slice cilantro stems, onion, ginger and garlic. Next smash the galangal , and lemon grass. In stock pot add olive oil and sauté above ingredients to help make them fragrant.
3. Add Beef, Beef stock, star anise, sauces, sugar, 2 bay leaves, cinnamon sticks and allow to simmer for 2 hours (if you have time the longer the broth cooks, the more depth it will have). Skim any foam that arises to the top.
4. Boil a separate pot of water
5. Remove stems from broth, and just before serving add the greens of your choice to broth for 3 min or until tender.
6. Boil Rice Noodle for about 1 min rehydrating them, or until you reach the texture you desire.