Updated: Oct 20
This delicious savory recipe was passed to me from my friend Dr. Jihee Kim at Stanford University. Alongside the recipe she also shared the wonderful bio hacks of why Kimchee is so popular in Korean culture and it's many health benefits. Kimchi is a fermented dish made up of cabbage, radish, salt, vinegar, garlic, chili peppers and other spices. It is either served as a side dish with rice, or used as a topping in soups, noodles, etc... So what makes this low fat dish so beneficial for us? Here are three of my favorite benefits below.
1. Contains lactobacilli from the fermentation process which acts as a probiotic and is great for digestion. Promoting a happy healthy gut.
2. Garlic in the Kimchi is known to be good for lowering cholesterol. and the secret to glowing skin/hair. It also contains allicin and selenium which helps the cardio vascular system and acts as a preventative aiding in healthy arteries.
3. It helps to carbohydrate metabolism, making it easier to lose weight.
Yields: 4 | Prep Time: 10 Min | Total Cook Time: 20 Min
1 jar kimchi (1 cup)
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tbsp soy sauce for seasoning
1 large egg ( I use pasteurized eggs)
2 scallions chopped
1/4 canola oil or neutral for frying
1/4 kimchi liquid from jar (brine)
1 cup icy cold water
tsp chili paste (optional)
1 tbsp mirin
1 tsp salt
1. Combine egg, water, soy, mirin, salt, and brine into a bowl. Whisk.
2. Add dry ingredients flour, scallions, and whisk.
3. Rough chop Kimchi and add to batter mixture. Stir with wooden spoon.
4. Heat 1/4 cup oil on high heat in a non stick skillet. Cook pancakes till golden brown around 2 min and flip. Repeat process till batter finishes.
5. Top with a bit of scallions for garnish.